Skip to main content

Music Minor

The Music Department offers minors in Music and ICAM-Music.

To declare a Minor:

  • Click on the "Major and Minor" link under "Tools" on My TritonLink.
  • If you have questions about which courses to take or how to submit the request, current students are required to make an appointment with the undergraduate advisor by requesting a meeting on the Virtual Advising Center (VAC) at:
  • Please be sure to check course prerequisites before declaring the minor.
  • List two lower division and five upper division courses. 
  • The department will review your minor request. You will receive an automated email from the Registrar indicating the department's decision.
  • If your minor proposal is denied, you will receive a message via the VAC explaining how to revise your proposal in order to be accepted.

When filling out the online minor declaration, students must list the proposed courses they plan to use for the minor. Students can change the courses or grading options at any time and will not need to resubmit another minor declaration to do so. When registering for courses that meet the music department's minor requirements, the online system will automatically move those courses into the minor section of the student's Degree Audit Reports (DAR). If at any time a student believes a course should be applied to the minor but does not show appropriately on the DAR, please contact the undergraduate advisor in the music department.

NOTE: We do not recommend that students propose upper-division courses requiring auditions. We recommend a back-up course be listed until auditions have been passed.

Tips to properly fill out the online declaration:
Subject Code: MUS
Course No.: the  course number (i.e. 1A, 127)
Title: Full course title. If you are proposing a repeatable course, please list the topics for each.
Institution: UC San Diego
Units: 4
Grading Options: Letter or Pass/No Pass

Do not list courses that you have taken outside UC San Diego, and plan to petition.  List a UC San Diego course as a place holder until your petition is approved, and then it will be applied on your degree audit.

NOTE: After you have listed the courses on the online minor declaration, you first must click the "Submit" button. On the next page, review your choices and click the "Add Minor" button. Your minor will not be submitted for review if you skip this step!

Music Minor
(Minor Code: MU 25)

Lower Division Requirements
Select any two lower-division music courses from Music 1-20, 33. Both courses must be 4-units. Performance ensembles (Music 95B-95W) and individual lessons (Music 32) are excluded.

Upper Division Requirements
Select any five upper-division music courses. Upper-division performance ensembles are included and may be taken multiple times to satisfy upper-division requirements. Students may not include upper division, Individual Instruction (private lessons, MUS 132/132V) on a Minor Proposal.  All courses must be 4-units. 

This is a general minor in music; there is no specific emphasis for the minor. Students can choose from a broad range of courses to fulfill the requirements. The only restrictions are:

• All courses must be 4 units
• You are still required to meet course prerequisites
• If you are taking a repeatable course, the topics must be different

Minor courses can be taken for a letter or P/NP grade, unless otherwise specified in the course description. If you plan to overlap minor courses with general education, we suggest you check with your college to determine if the courses must be taken for a specific grading option.

ICAM Minor
(Minor Code: MU27)

Lower-Division Requirements - two courses total

Required VIS 41 Design Communication
choose one from

VIS 1, 2 or 3 Introduction to Art-Making I, II, or III
MUS 4 Introduction to Western Music

OR Effective Fall 2018, choose one from MUS 1A, 2A, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 14

Upper-Division Requirements - five courses total 


ICAM 110 Computing in the Arts: Current Practice* This course is no longer offered. Effective Fall 2018: Please choose a 2nd Foundation or third advanced course from the lists below.

Foundation - choose two

  • VIS 142 Practices in Computing Arts
  • VIS 145A Time Process and Digital Media I
  • MUS 170 Musical Acoustics
  • MUS 171 Computer Music I
Advanced Courses - choose three
  • MUS 171 Computer Music I
  • MUS 172 Computer Music II
  • MUS 173 Electronic Music Production and Composition
  • MUS 174A/B/C Audio and MIDI Studio Techniques
  • MUS 176 Music Technology Seminar
  • MUS 177 Music Programming
  • VIS 141A Computer Programming for the Arts I
  • VIS 141B Computer Programming for the Arts II                                                                                               
  • VIS 145B Time and Process Digital Media II
  • VIS 147A Electronic Technologies for Art I
  • VIS 147B Electronic Technologies for Art II 
  • VIS 132 Installation Production and Studio
  • VIS 143 Virtual Environments
Theory and History

VIS 159 History of Art and Technology OR MUS 114 -  No longer required effective Fall 2018. Students entering prior to Fall 2018 may substitute a third advanced elective in place of this Theory/History.

Minor courses can be taken for a letter or P/NP grade, unless otherwise specified in the course description. We suggest you find out from your college if they require minor courses to be taken for a specific grading option.

Link to Visual Arts webpage for ICAM and Vis Arts Course Descriptions & Annual Schedule:

Course Descriptions
Annual Schedule

Transferring Courses

  • Courses taken at another college or at a community college may be used to fulfill lower-division requirements only. Go to Assist to determine whether your course has already been articulated. If it is not listed on Assist, then an Undergraduate Student Petition must be submitted to the Music Department with an attached photocopy of the course description and/or syllabus from the originating institution.
  • The Music Department does not accept Advanced Placement (AP) courses to apply toward the minor.

The Music Department allows students to take minor courses for letter and/or pass/no pass grading options. If you are using a course to satisfy a requirement for your college, please check with the college advising office for their policy.